Monday 6 July 2009

Rachel Irwin

Through my work I have explored nature at differing microscopic strengths which has opened up fascinating landscapes normally unseen. The process of exploring these strange worlds can feel unreal and distorted and this feeling is reflected in ‘Lens Distortion nos. 1&2’. In these pieces I experimented with magnification and created my own resin lenses which were placed over found objects and pollen cell images. My investigations have also revealed the extra-ordinary inter-relationship between the macro and microcosms. Patterns and design are echoed throughout nature at every level.

In ‘Stomata cell pattern no.2’ I explore the interaction between an elm tree seed with the shape and pattern of stomata cells of a leaf seen at microscopic level. Ultimately, I feel that nature is profoundly beautiful and I wish to celebrate this by highlighting common objects often overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment