Tuesday 23 June 2009

Pauline Williams

Pauline Williams in her studio

I studied art at St. Helens College of Art and at The University of Wales in Cardiff; I also have a Post Graduate teaching qualification from the University of Newport.

My art is a representation of life from my perspective. I have been painting and drawing from life, recording places, events and people wherever I go. I will not only draw randomly just to keep my observational skills tip-top, the artist equivalent of ‘sight reading’, but also I will select my subject matter to suit my interest at the time. I have recently been making studies of skateboarders and rugby players enjoying their fearless commitment to their sport, providing me with great dynamics. I prefer to work directly in front of my subject wherever practical making a direct response, but I do also work in my studio allowing my memory and imagination to kick in. Studio working for me also encourages a more painterly approach to my work. My art studio is at home allowing me to fit my art with the rest of my family commitments. I regularly find inspiration to paint from my own garden and frequently include family members into my paintings. I also teach drawing and painting, mostly to adults, specializing in portraiture and life-drawing.


A Typical Sunday Afternoon


A theme I am constantly drawn to is the coast , Penarth in particular. This painting was created in the studio working from sketches that were created on location.

No comments:

Post a Comment